- 9-year professional software development experience across
multiple technologies and platforms
- Expertise in object-oriented design methodology and
application development in Java and J2EE, including
Servlets/JSP, EJB, JDBC/SQL, Threads, RMI, JCE, Security,
JNI, JFC/Swing, etc.
- Strong experience in Web & object distribution technologies:
HTTP, HTML/XML, CORBA/IDL, Messaging
- Project experience with various development frameworks and tools:
J2EE SDK, Visual Studio, Apache, Allaire JRun, Watershed ROF,
Persistence PowerTier, Symantec VisualCafe, IONA Orbix,
IBM MQSeries, MATLAB, LabVIEW, etc.
- Main languages: Java, C++/C (past: Objective-C, Pascal, Fortran)
- Main platforms: Windows, UNIX (Linux, Solaris)
- Highly productive programmer: I have been consistently able to
personally produce between 20,000 and 45,000 lines of high-quality
production code per year.
- Highly creative and productive, able to design and build
components or entire systems from scratch
- Strong analytical and organizational skills resulting in
high-quality enterprise-level deliverables
- Strong proven presentation and communication skills
- Successfully assumed technical leadership and project management roles
- Excellent learning capability and adaptability to new environments
Akheron (early-stage start-up) built innovative network security
technology extending traditional firewall protection (traffic
analysis & filtering) to the application layer, e.g. instant
messaging (IM) and peer-to-peer.
Designed and developed a suite of Java applications to monitor,
archive and display IM traffic, based on a
complex thread-pooled, multi-client architecture using the Jabber
protocol (40,000 lines of code). Also contributed to Akheron's
proprietary High-Bandwidth Transparent Vectoring (HBTV) technology.
Co-authored or assisted writing four patent applications.
(early-stage start-up, ended 2/2002), focused on machine
learning methods, especially
support vector machines
(SVMs), for genomic, proteomic and medical data analysis.
At the company's start, was hired to integrate math and
engineering by designing a system to deliver productized SVM
algorithmic methods. Created an online application service
provider (ASP), the "Discovery Platform", to centralize and
streamline multiple data processing chains:
(a) users upload raw input data; (b) math analysts custom-tailor
optimal classification methods and deploy them as "numerical engines"
(componentware of the system); (c) users download output results.
Single-handedly designed and built the entire J2EE-based system,
including a back-end numerical computation server (JNI over Matlab).
Collaborated with SVM co-inventor
Isabelle Guyon. Co-authored one patent.
RedCart (early/mid-stage start-up, ended in 12/2000), provided e-commerce
technology as an application service provider (ASP) to consumer
web portal sites. Its
technology enabled transactions across multiple online merchants
through a single virtual shopping cart account.
Joined at an early stage and played a major role in the
design and development of the system. Single-handedly created and
implemented the automatic checkout functionality across two coupled
Helped supervise and provide technical leadership to the
engineering team, in collaboration with the CTO and VP of
Engineering. Led or contributed to code reviews for most of the
- A J2EE front-end: Wrote a multi-tier, multi-threaded checkout
engine in Java (EJB, Servlets, JSP).
- An Apache-based proxy: Wrote an HTTP "bot" (agent) module in C
automating the navigation of merchant sites through pluggable
"wrappers" (merchant-specialized software components analogous to
drivers). To streamline the massive development of wrapper code,
created an original macro script in C containing 120 bot navigation
commands and trained groups of programmers in its use.
(founded in 1985, IPO in 2000 as Blaze Software,
followed by several buyouts and mergers) built market-leading
high-end application development tools for Fortune 500 customers.
Hired to work directly with the Chief Software Architect on new
projects. Created major new features, core modules and prototypes
of products from scratch. For the
product, a suite of tools for business rules management (business
rules are componentware expert systems based on English-like scripts):
For "Open Interface",
a cross-platform GUI builder (precursor of IDE
tools like Visual Basic or Delphi):
- Developed the first prototype of Advisor's rules engine,
based on the RETE search algorithm.
- Coded various lexical and syntactical parsers for an
English-like 4GL script compiler.
- Created the complete initial GUI which was further developed
by the whole engineering team.
- Wrote multiple client/server demos using CORBA, RMI, HTTP,
- Created a C/C++ code generation engine, automatically
resynchronizing GUI and text modifications. Invented a set of
"annotations" (special comments) inserted in the code. Wrote
the user manual.